Pope Fellowship and Scholarship Programs
For Georgia Southwestern State University Students
1) The John and Betty Pope Fellowship Program
Named for the Americus couple who generously endowed the program, the John and Betty Pope Fellowship in Caregiving is a unique program of the RCI. The fellowship provides financial support for outstanding individuals pursuing training and careers in fields related to caregiving, and provides a structure and course of study intended to prepare them for leadership in the field.
Fellows must be enrolled in the Caregiving Issues and Management Certificate
program at Georgia Southwestern State University. Fellowships are awarded for a single year, but fellows in good standing are encouraged to apply for renewal each year, for up to four years of support.
Award of Pope Fellowships is currently limited to students pursuing a degree program at Georgia Southwestern State University and who are or will be enrolled in the Caregiving Issues and Management Certificate Program. Applicants must have a grade point average of 3.0 as well as an established interest in academic study related to caregiving or a record of outstanding professional or informal caregiving. In addition, Pope Fellows must:
- Enroll for minimum of 12 credit hours each semester (undergraduate) or 9 credit hours (graduate) for a full award.
- Maintain of minimum 3.0 Grade Point Average (GPA).
- Attend Pope Fellowship orientation and other required meetings.
- Make steady progress in fulfilling requirements of the Caregiver Certificate Program
The current award amount is for $3500.00
per academic year.
Fellowship Applicants should submit:
- An application form postmarked by February 1, 2016.
- Official grade transcripts mailed directly to the Rosalynn Carter Institute (800 Georgia Southwestern State University Drive, Americus, Georgia 31709)
- A resume/vita.
- A detailed description of the applicant's interests, experience, and aspirations related to caregiving.
- Two letters of recommendation from individuals familiar with the applicant's academic, professional, and/or caregiving background. Letters from family members are not appropriate.
Application materials are reviewed by the Pope Fellowship Awards Committee; finalists are interviewed in person. Click HERE
to view the Pope Fellowship Brochure.
2) The John and Betty Pope Scholarship Program
The John and Betty Pope Scholarship Program provides financial assistance to students desiring to enroll in the online Caregiving Issues and Management Certificate Program at Georgia Southwestern State University.
For new students, a baccalaureate degree and acceptance to GSW is required. For currently enrolled GSW students, you must be pursuing a baccalaureate degree. Applicants should submit the following by February 1, 2016:
- Scholarship application form.
- If applicable, work history and experience, including most recent performance appraisal or letter of support from direct supervisor.
- Education history, including (if applicable) official grade transcripts.
- A statement describing your vision of how the knowledge gained in the certificate program will be of benefit to you.
- One letter of recommendation from individuals familiar with the applicant academically, professionally, or within the community.