The Rosalynn Carter Institute for Caregiving works to provide quality training that is easily accessible and affordable. In keeping with this goal, virtual delivery of the DWD Trainer Class is being piloted to spare potential trainers the expense of traveling for the two day class held at the institute in Americus, Ga.
Procedures for applying for the Virtual DWD Trainer Class are as follows:
- The candidate must complete the online survey four weeks prior to the planned virtual training date.
- RCI will notify the candidate within one week of the submission of the application regarding their application.
- If accepted into the class, RCI will send via email the DWD Trainer Contract and an invoice for the training.
- RCI must receive the payment (check) and signed contract no less than three weeks prior to the class. If payment is not received by this date, applicant will be moved to the registration for the next Trainer Class and be notified.
- Upon receipt of the payment and contract, RCI will have training materials shipped to the candidate to arrive within the week prior to the class.
- The candidate must have a computer/laptop with camera, access to quality internet, and either a microphone on the computer or a nearby speaker phone to access audio.
The DWD Trainer Class is a two day class requiring candidate’s full attendance to achieve designation. Registration on day one begins at 8:30. Class begins at 9 both days. Day one is a full day of training. During day two, there will be two hours of instruction and discussion.
Candidates will schedule a Demonstration of Skills session to be held within one week of the training. They will be delivering a 20 minute demonstration of specific portions of the workshop. These demonstrations will be observed and scored by the master trainer with a follow up discussion. This demonstration and discussion usually takes no more than 30 to 45 minutes.
The fee for the class is $250. Ongoing costs of workshop delivery is the cost of the DWD Guide for each participant at $25 each. There is an annual renewal fee of $250.
Each trainer candidate will receive the DWD Trainer Manual and a copy of the Dealing with Dementia Guide at no extra cost. If payment and contract are not received in time for shipping the materials, the candidate will wait for the next virtual trainer class.
Benefits of becoming a designated DWD Trainer:
- You will be empowered to facilitate workshops for both family caregivers and direct care workers caring for people living with dementia.
- You will be added to the DWD Registry on the RCI Website (currently under reconstruction).
- Your workshops will be listed on the DWD Calendar on the RCI Website (upon request).
- Only DWD Trainers and RCI REACH caregiver coaches have exclusive access to purchase the DWDGuide.
DWD Trainer Candidates seeking the designation of DWD Trainer must:
- Have at least one year experience (personally or professionally) with dementia caregiving.
- Have at least one year experience in public speaking or leading, facilitating or teaching in adult education settings.
- Commit to delivering the DWD Workshops with fidelity to content and delivery parameters.
- Commit to holding two workshops within one year of the training (first workshop must be held within four months). DWD Trainers must also send all required documentation back to RCI within two weeks of the workshops. These MUST be sent by UPS or FedEx so that the shipment may be tracked.
- Each virtual trainer class is limited to 6 candidates so please complete the online application as soon as possible.
- The application can be found here.
- The application should take about 20 to 30 minutes to complete. Applications are reviewed weekly with a response or additional questions requested as needed.
Any questions should be directed to Carrie Harris . Thank you!