RCI REACH(Resources Enhancing Alzheimer's Caregiver Health) provides education, a focus on safety for the patient, support for the caregiver, and skills building to help caregivers manage difficult patient behaviors and decrease their own stress.
RCI REACH is an in-home, tailored, caregiver support intervention consisting of:
• 12 individual sessions in the home or by telephone; up to 9 face-to-face and 3 telephone sessions
• Data collection at beginning and end
• Program length 6 months
• Must complete 75% of sessions to be considered a program completer
• Improvement in overall caregiver health and depression
• Reductions in feelings of burden from caregiving
• Improvement in caregiver management of troubling behaviors of the care recipient
• Delay in institutionalization
From an RCI REACH Caregiver Coach in California: "I just want to share how amazing the REACH experience has been. I just completed my first client yesterday - her burden and depression scale went from being really high to almost non-existent. I went home feeling so good about the changes in this family's life. Thank you for bringing this program to us!"
RCI REACH Eligibility Criteria:
Family caregivers of persons with Alzheimer’s disease/dementia
Watch this caregiver share her testimonial about how REACH helped her. "I have an attitude of gratitude!"
NOTE: RCI Staff, certified as Master Trainers, are available to train agencies or individuals interested in implementing this intervention. Contact Naomi.Latini@gsw.edu for more information.