Prepare to Shelter at Home
Getting prepared for staying home
What if you need to stay home with your loved one for a longer period time?
- Know what medications your loved one is taking and see if you can help them have extra on hand.
- Monitor food and other medical supplies (oxygen, incontinence, dialysis, wound care) needed and create a back-up plan.
- Stock up on non-perishable food items to have on hand in your home to minimize trips to stores.
- If you care for a loved one living in a care facility, monitor the situation, ask about the health of the other residents frequently, and know the protocol if there is an outbreak.
- If you know a caregiver, offer to go to the store or pharmacy for them and always ask how they are doing.
And if you are not able to visit your loved one due to nursing home restrictions, identify if there are ways to set up a video chat or FaceTime with them.